Ofsted Outstanding Award 2012-2013
East Haddon Primary School

East Haddon Primary School

East Haddon Primary School

Life at East Haddon Primary School Life at East Haddon Primary School Life at East Haddon Primary School Life at East Haddon Primary School Life at East Haddon Primary School Life at East Haddon Primary School Life at East Haddon Primary School Life at East Haddon Primary School Life at East Haddon Primary School Life at East Haddon Primary School Life at East Haddon Primary School

19th Century

The schoolroom in the house which Lord St. John had for many years allowed the parish to use for that purpose, being found insufficient, a subscription was entered into in 1790 and a new school room built for the accommodation of the parish.”

This schoolroom of 1790 is the room recently divided to provide hall storage and group teaching space in our recent modernisation and is still in daily use.

A Select Committee report on Education of the Poor in 1818 provides the following details:-

 “Particulars relating to Endowments for Education of Youths

A school in which 6 girls are taught. The mistress receives £4 - 7s - 6d per annum arising out of land besides which she teaches. Others are taught at the expense of their parents.

 Other Institutions for the purposes of Education.

A school in which 20 boys are taught at the expense of the parish and as individuals; the master receives £28 – l0s beside which he teaches other children.

 Observations.

 The poor have sufficient means of Education.

The Education returns of 1833 provide the first real clues as to the wide variety of schools in the village and also the value that the villagers must have placed on education at this time. The village is quoted in the return as having a population of 644.

 “ Five daily schools - one of which contains 48 males of whom 34 are paid for by a salary allowed by the principal landed proprietor and the parish, in another are 6 males and 26 females; 12 of the latter are paid for, partly by salary allowed as above mentioned, and partly by their parents, the remainder of the children in both these schools are educated at the expense of their parents; another contains 3 males and 11 females; another (appertaining to Baptists) 5 males and 7 females; and the other (to Independents) 7 males and 3 females; in the three schools last mentioned all the children are instructed at the expense of their parents.

 Three Sunday Schools, in two whereof are 61 males and 45 males who attend the Established Church; the other consists of 21 males and 30 females and appertains to Baptists: in these three schools the children are taught gratuitously.”

 

Selections fromthe School Log 1870-1900  PDF icon